Your washing machine is frequently filled with water and washing detergent. Does that mean it’s clean? Not always.
Like any other home appliance, your washing machine needs a thorough cleaning in order to function well for an extended period of time. Otherwise, mould and mildew may form in its damp crevices, making both your machine and laundry smell.
Depending on your washing habits, you should give it a proper clean at least once a month. Whether you are owninga front load or a top load washer, use this DIY guide to learn how to clean an automatic washing machine from Frigidaire Arabia.
What to prepare before cleaning your washing machine
The process will take roughly three hours on average, but majority of that time is just waiting for the cycles to complete. The following materials are required:
- Microfibre cloth
- Warm soapy water
- Small brush
- Spray bottle
- Washing machine cleaner. This is your best option since it’s specially formulated to do the job without causing damage to your appliance.
How to clean a front load washing machine
For each step, focus on one area.
1. Run normal cycle with hot water to clean the drum
Before you start, make sure you are not leaving any clothes inside. Follow the instructions of your washing machine cleaner. This may be a tablet, powder, or liquid that will be put in your detergent dispenser or directly in your drum.
Then, you can run your front load washer on a regular cycle with hot water. Some Frigidaire washing machines also come with dedicated cleaning programmes like Tub Clean or Clean Washer. When the cycle is over, wipe the drum so there is no remaining residue.
2. Unplug your washer & let water flow out from your drain and filter
Water may be collecting in your drain and filter, potentially carrying bacterias. When the cycle is complete, unplug your washer, then check for a small panel on its lower front portion. Prepare towels or a tray beneath to contain the water. Open the panel and slowly unscrew the dial to control water as it flows out.
3. Scrub the pump filter with a small brush
Unscrew the cap completely, examine both the filter and drain, then remove any foreign objects clogging them like lint or forgotten items from pockets. If left unchecked, this might result in excessive vibrations and extended cycle times. Scrub the filter with a small brush after running it through warm water.
4. Spray hot soapy water to clean washing machine gasket and door
Front load washing machines users should also understand the importance of knowing how to properly clean the rubber door seal.
The combination of soap and water residue in the rubber seal and the warm environment inside your machine creates the ideal breeding ground for mould and odours.
While the washer cleaner should have cleaned this, there is no harm in double checking. For a better cleaning effect, spray the door seal with hot soapy water, pull back the folds carefully to really get in there, then use a clean cloth to wipe it. Include the inside of the door as well.
5. Remove the drawer & scrub off all residue with warm soapy water
Overtime, detergent can accumulate in the crevices of your dispenser, resulting in blockage. To clean it, remove the drawer gently. One long tray should easily slide off. Separate all the detachable inserts, and soak them in warm soapy water. Scrub away any residue to ensure they’re squeaky clean, and then wipe dry.
Before returning it, use a brush or cloth to remove any powder residue from the drawer cavity.
6. Finish off by cleaning the washing machine exterior
Finally, wipe clean the machine exterior and controls with a damp cloth. Now your machine is spotless inside out.
How to clean a top load washing machine
1. Clean washing machine tub by running a normal cycle with hot water
Examine the inside for any forgotten items. Simply follow the instructions of the washing machine cleaner. You will most likely have to load it directly into the tub. You can then run your machine on a normal cycle with hot water.
You may notice the water becoming dirty. This is due to the buildup of gunk beneath the inner drum. Let it drain and wipe the tub to ensure no residue remains.
2. Slide off the detergent dispenser & soak it in warm soapy water
Soak the detergent dispenser in warm soapy water after gently slide it off. Give it a good scrub so there is no residue left. Brush the inside of the drawer compartment as well.
>>> Read more: How to use detergents in washing machines?
3. Clean the edge and inside of your washing machine door
Scrub around the edge and the inside of the washing machine door with warm soap water. Wipe the top of your top load washer also if it has an agitator. You’ll find less dirt in these areas because water usually drips down. After that rinse with water.
4. Wipe off your washing machine exterior with damp microfibre cloth
Don’t forget the outside of your equipment. Wipe its controls and the rest of its body with a damp microfibre cloth to get rid of dust, grime, and drips of laundry product. To keep its coat in good condition, avoid using any strong chemicals or abrasive material.
Refer to the below tutorial video on how to clean your Frigidaire top load washing machine:
Extra tips: How to maintain the fresh smelling of your washing machine
Follow these simple tips to keep your favourite garments smelling fresh for longer:
- Before washing: Make sure to thorouhgly check up your clothes to remove paper or tissue from pockets. If you are going to wash heavily soiled clothes, remember to shake off excess dirt before putting them in.
- After washing:
- Remove the clothes right away.
- Wipe the rubber door seal immediately, and leave the door and drawer ajar to dry out the interior and avoid moulds and odours.
- Occasionally, slow limescale buildup using a water softening powder.
- Use only the recommended amount of detergent and softener for your load. Otherwise, you risk harming your garments and leaving more residue in the drum.
Hopefully, this post from Frigidaire Arabia has provided you with useful DIY tips on how to clean an automatic washing machine, be it a front loader or top loader. Knowing properly and keeping it clean & hygienic all the time is the key to keep your laundry machine running for longer and require fewer repairs too.
If you are looking for a new washing machine, don't forget to check out our collection of high-quality Frigidaire washing machines below:
- Fully automatic washer
- UltraMix dissolves detergent well even in cool water for optimal cleaning performance
- Child Lock prevents accidental operation
- Large drum to thoroughly dry bulky items and family-sized loads
- 20 and 45 minute quick cycles to save your time
- VapourCare for perfect care of baby wear
- UltraMix keeps colors vibrant and rich for longer
- Full automatic washing machine
- VapourCare leaves your clothes 23% less wrinkles*